Commonly Asked Questions

Q: What information do you need from me to start the process?
A: Click here for access buyer and seller information sheets.

Q: What do I need to bring to closing?
A: Click here for closing checklists and choose the one that applies to you.

Q: I need Wire Instructions to wire money to you, how can I obtain them?
A: Please contact the specific closing office handling your closing and they will gladly deliver wire instructions to you.

Q: How can I find out how much the Title Insurance will be?
A: Help yourself to our easy online calculators for title insurance rates for residential or commercial transactions.

Residential Title Insurance Calculator

Q: Who will be handling my file – how will I know who to call?
A: Every file closed in any of our offices is handled by one of our experienced closing coordinators. They will introduce themselves to you either through email or telephone once your file has been established with our firm. You are welcome to call or email your designated closing coordinator should you have any questions at all. We are here for you.

Q: How are Buyers or Sellers bringing money to closing required to deliver funds to Gilroy Firm?
(i) Buyer funds must be provided in certified funds or wired funds. You may obtain our wire information from your closing coordinator to find the information waiting for you there. CLOSING CAN NOT BE COMPLETED WITHOUT A WIRE OR CERTIFIED FUNDS delivered to our office before closing. Certified Checks are the same as Official Checks from your bank.

(ii) Any Seller funds owed must be certified funds or delivered to The Gilroy Firm via wire. See (i) above for specific wire and certified funds instructions.

Parties bringing funds to closing are encouraged to bring a personal check with them in the event there are small amounts owed due to last minute changes which are not covered by the funds delivered.

Q: When I get my certified check, who should I have it payable to?
A: You can have the certified check made payable to The Gilroy Firm or you may have the check made payable to yourself (you will sign this into escrow at closing).

Q: What are the most common pitfalls that make closings fail at the last minute or be delayed?
1. Buyer does not have funds ready for closing (initiating a wire at the closing table is not the same as the funds being here – wires can sometimes take an entire day to be delivered to escrow).
2. Seller has failed to perform required repairs to the property.
3. Seller did not provide proof of termite bond and transferability, if in contract.
4. Seller delay in providing payoff information to closing coordinator.
5. Last minute requests for power of attorney or mail outs.
6. Home Warranty was not ordered, if doing so is in the contract.
7. Borrower has failed to provide Lender with requested information in a timely manner.
8. Lender’s funds delayed.
9. Parties have wrong time or date for closing.

Q: If I am not going to be present for closing, may I have get someone sign as my attorney in fact or may I have the documents mailed to me?
A: It is always our first choice to have all parties incidental to the sale of real estate be present for the closing. However, in the event that is not possible, you may also consider coming in to do an “early signing.” There is no extra fee for this service. You simply would schedule a time to sign your paperwork in advance of the actual closing, if your paperwork can be made available. The documents are then held in escrow until the actual closing date.

In the event this will not work for your circumstance, you may assign an attorney in fact to sign the documents on your behalf. As there are tax implications and private information within many of the documents you will be signing, you will want to consider the person you choose to be your attorney in fact carefully. The key is that you let your closing coordinator with The Gilroy Firm know as soon as possible. Power of Attorney documents for the sale of real estate are governed by Georgia law and we will need to provide you with the Power of Attorney. There is a charge for this service. The document must be signed by you, witnessed and notarized. We will also require a copy of your photo identification and we will need an original of the Power of Attorney document prior to closing. If there is a lender involved and you are a borrower, the lender will need to approve whether a Power of Attorney may be used.

“A mail out” is a circumstance in which we mail you all of the Seller or Buyer documents for signature outside of our office. The documents may be explained over the phone by one of our lawyers. There is considerable preparation that goes into sending such packages, so that they will be easy for you to know where to sign and understand what you are signing. There is a fee for this service. You will also need to enlist the services of a witness and a notary public at your location when you are ready to sign. As with Power of Attorney’s, we will need to have advance notice in order to accommodate these requests.

Buyer and Seller Checklists

Buyers’ Agent
Sellers’ Agent